Do you ever feel jaded about how much of your life you spend trying to find a decent date? It takes boundless amounts of charm, gusto and optimistic perseverance to land yourself a candlelit dinner with a hottie who might just be The One.
“So what? I just do online dating!” I hear you respond with vigour. Okay, well, good luck to thee! But online dating doesn’t automatically grant you free access to a limitless pool of good-lookin’ singletons who are guaranteed to want you. Plus, they’re total strangers, meaning you’re starting from scratch as you get to know one another. That takes time. There’s still something to be said for going a little more retro.
In case you’ve been living under a rock, speed dating entails a series of extremely short dates, around 3 minutes long. During the event, singletons get together and try to find someone who is both attractive and compatible in a highly efficient manner. Everyone takes notes on everyone else and tick yes or no with regard to whether or not they would like to meet up again. If both tick yes, then voila! — it’s a match.
Be in no doubt: speed dating can work! However, because of the extremely limited time you have per date, the speed dating questions you ask (and the way you dress, incidentally, but that’s an article unto itself!), make or break the success of your speed dating experience. You don’t want to end up sitting across from your date looking like a rabbit in the headlights.
Why It’s So Important to Ask The Best Speed Dating Questions
An arsenal of shit-hot questions is essential if you want to get the most out of speed dating. How else are you meant to stand out from a large group of singletons when you’ve got literally just a few minutes to wow a prospective partner?
The best speed dating questions are fun, lighthearted and open-ended. They are also unique and make the listener really think deeply about their answer. This invariably will shed light on aspects of their personality that you’d never otherwise see in such a short space of time, especially if you were asking only boring and generic questions. A good speed dating question will facilitate the person across the table revealing information about themselves without it feeling forced or awkward.
Speed dating can be daunting, there’s no doubt about it, but Dating Smartz have got your back. And remember, you don’t need to robotically relay questions to every date and never stray from a script. Our 30 questions are in no particular order, reflecting the fact that you should keep the conversation organic, natural-sounding and free-flowing.
Use these questions only as a crutch, a go-to guide to recall if the chat unexpectedly dips in energy. Our list of the 30 best speed dating questions (and infographic!) will get you through any scenario, any conversation, and maybe, just maybe, land you that coveted date #2.
30 Of The Best Speed Dating Questions
1. What has been your favourite weekend this year?
2. Who would you choose to be, having the opportunity to be any other person for 24 hours?
3. Where would you go on holiday right now if time and money were no object?
4. What were you known for in school?
5. Do you believe in anything paranormal?
6. Pick anyone to have dinner with, dead or alive.
7. What is the most reckless thing you’ve ever done?
8. What’s your party trick?
9. What is the most disgusting thing you’ve ever tasted?
10. What causes you to cry?
11. What is your most treasured possession?
12. Who was your childhood hero?
13. Given the freedom, choose any country in the world to live.
14. What has been your biggest adventure?
15. What do you first notice when you meet someone new?
16. What are you most grateful for?
17. What is your favourite time of year?
18. What was your dream job when you were little?
19. What is one thing you wish to achieve during your life?
20. What makes you feel old?
21. What would people be most surprised to learn about you?
22. What hobby or pastime would you love to get into if only you had the time and resources?
23. What takes up too much of your time?
24. What is one of your favourite memories?
25. What made you smile today?
26. What would you do if you found out you had 6 months left to live?
27. Describe the most physically challenging experience you’ve ever had.
28. What is something you are secretly very knowledgeable about?
29. What is your favorite food?
30. Who was your first kiss?
A Few Speed Dating Tips That Can Help
Every person you meet at your speed dating evening will be different, and therefore so will each conversation. Tailor your questions to the person. If they seem nervous, keep things straightforward and allow them to ease into the dialogue, rather than firing off profound philosophical conundrum after profound philosophical conundrum. You can even ask some funny speed dating question.
Furthermore, at all costs avoid potentially inflammatory or touchy subjects such as religion, politics, money, sex and, of course, exes! Coming across as intense or insensitive is a guaranteed turnoff, and you will not be receiving a tick from them.
At the end of the day, speed dating is meant to be fun, so try to relax and remember that everyone is feeling the same as you! There are also lots of ways to prepare for your speed dating night so that you turn up feeling on form and ready to go. Act confident, even if you don’t feel it; as they say, fake it till you make it. Don’t be dishonest; if you get to know that person sitting across from you, the revelation that you’ve a penchant for porkies will be a big red flag. Plus, of course, you want your date to like you for whom you are!
Speed dating is a pretty unique experience. You do not have the time to faff around with niceties and formalities; you’re here to see if the person opposite you could genuinely be a potential partner. The only way you can really ascertain this in so short a timespan is to ask questions whose answers you genuinely care about. Dating Smartz’s 30 best speed dating questions will help you avoid clichés and be memorable, individual and interesting.
That’s really all you need to get that tick and clinch rendezvous #2!